Baked Oysters with Misty Point Oysters by Cherrystone Aqua-Farms
This easy baked oyster recipe combines our Misty Point Oysters with bacon, kale, and parmesan... so it's a crowd pleaser. Substitute the kale for collards or spinach if you'd rather, but don't skimp out on the bacon or cheese.
Ingredients As always, let the spirit move you. Really like garlic? Use more. Using really salty oysters (like the Chincoteague Salts)? Consider unsalted butter.
- 24 Misty Point Oysters by Cherrystone Aqua-Farms, shucked on the half shell
- 12 oz bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 cups kale, chopped
- 4 TB salted butter
- 2 TB all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely shredded (and a little more for garnish)
- juice from 1 lemon
- ground cayenne pepper, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- lemon wedges for serving
- Over medium heat in a large skillet, cook bacon until slightly crispy, stirring occasionally. Pour off excess grease/fat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until onion begins to caramelize.
- Add kale, stirring and cooking until well integrated and reduced.
- Push ingredients to the outside of the skillet. Add butter to the middle, stirring until melted. Add flour and continue stirring until butter and flour are combined and slightly browned.
- Reduce heat and add heavy whipping cream and Parmesan cheese. Stir all ingredients constantly and cook until mixture is thick.
- Remove from heat. Add lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- Place skillet contents into the refrigerator to cool. Mixture should begin to 'set' in about 30 minutes and it will be ready to spoon into the oysters
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place oysters on a banking sheet, spooning 1 large tablespoonful of the cooled mixture onto each.
- Bake until bubbling rapidly (between 5-8 minutes).
- Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly. Serve with additional Parmesan and lemon wedges for a little bit of zing!
Recipe adapted from the December 2020 edition of Southern Living Magazine.